Friday, July 10, 2009

I just called to say I love you

I work for a theatre company. We're dark for the summer. No programming till October, and even then, it's a special festival, not a mainstage production.

But being out of touch with my donors for three months does not sound wise. Of course we have e-newsletters but many donors aren't using e-mail (and those who are don't necessarily read the newsletters anyway).

So I've started contacting donors "just because." Calling to say hello and thanks for your support. Sending a note that says hey, we love you.

Okay not exactly in those words. But it's critical not to lose touch with donors. We need a consistent cash flow and if they haven't attended a show for months and receive a letter out of the blue requesting a donation renewal, how enthusiastic will they be to respond?

A few other ideas to keep them feeling invested -- I'll be trying these plus others: essays by students who attended a show through an outreach program this year; a bookmark with next season's show logos; a call making sure they are satisfied with their seat locations.

A few years ago, I transitioned from a large theatre that operated all year to my current job, which presents fewer than 8 weeks worth of shows annually. One of the largest adjustments I had to make was being aware of how my solicitations worked into broader organizational planning. At my old job, I could send a solicitation letter any time during the year and take for granted that the recipient would have attended a show recently. Not so with my current position. I am observing firsthand the value of being mindful of what a donor's last contact with my organization was and how recently it occured. If the last attendance happened several months ago, it's easy to send some meaningful organizational news prior to soliciting the individual for a donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment