Saturday, July 17, 2010

Non-profit Ethics

I've been gathering information on non-profit ethics lately. I know, I know..."what a girl scout," you're thinking. But here we non-profit employees are, in a rough economy, fortunate to have work thanks to the generosity of our donors. So we owe them our respect.

A few questions have come up lately in conversations I've had with colleagues (you know--those riveting, roaring fundraising discussions...):

-What do you do when a coworker shares somewhat personal information that will negatively affect the organzation? (For example, the events manager confides that she's leaving the organization right before the big gala.) Do you have to protect the coworker or the organization?

-How about when you've decided to change a program, or a production, and you're still working out the plan to announce the change. At what point does it start becoming dishonest to not tell your donors (even if their donations aren't restricted to that program)?

I'm not asking about legality issues here. I'm saying within the confines of what's legal, how do you choose what's right?

I'm starting to gather resources on fundraising ethics and I've started with those provided by the Association of Fundraising Professionals: http://www.afpnet.org/Ethics/EnforcementDetail.cfm?ItemNumber=4013

Have any points of view on the questions posed or any good ethics resources? Share below!

No comments:

Post a Comment